Due to my anxiety, I generally have trouble sleeping. My mind is racing and in my head, I am constantly thinking about all the things I need to do the following day. I tend to feel stressed out at night, so I try not to get in bed until I know I am tired and will fall asleep. I am also guilty of being on my phone in bed, which I am trying to get out the habit it, it's so hard!
A bit of history on Chinese Medicine- TCM dates back over 23 centuries ago, and aims to heal diseases by restoring what we know as the ying to yang balance in our health. TCM is known as one of the oldest medical systems in history! Pretty cool stuff. The belief of TCM is that different herbs and foods carry different purposes that help all organs heal.
Over the last month, I have been testing a new product from Dao Labs, who most effectively channels the uses of Chinese Medicine in the new age. They sent me their new launch and I couldn't wait for what would *hopefully* be better sleep. There are two formulas of Sleep Remedy, and I opted for Mental Tranquility. This formula is a non habit forming powder that you can mix in a beverage once or twice a day, to help relax your mind. Taken during the day, it helps with mental clarity and by taking at night your mind is more relaxed so you can enter a restful sleep. Here is a recap of my thoughts over the past 30 days.
Mental Tranquility is great for:
- A mind that won’t turn off
- Reducing stress in the night
- Waking up more happy
- Providing better mental clarity tomorrow
- Establishing a quality sleep pattern
Night 1: The day I received the product, I couldn't wait to try it! I had my boyfriend try it with me. To be honest, I am not a fan of the taste. It's not a deal breaker for me, I'll do just about anything to calm my mind and I realize that Chinese Medicine herbs generally don't taste too great- but are very beneficial for your health. Mental Tranquility is inspired by the classic Chinese herbal combination Return to Spleen, with an updated formula. After taking, I felt more relieved that night, and my boyfriend and I both felt more relaxed after about an hour. We were watching TV, and all of a sudden we realized, hey! we feel a bit more relaxed. Soon after that, we did go to sleep and I slept peacefully, with less trouble than usual.
Breakdown of ingredients in the product:
- Bai Zhu - Atractlodes Marcocephala- Aids in stomach support and energy.
- Fu Shen - Poria Cocos- A fungus used to address digestive issues. The root of this herb aids in sleep.
- Yuan Zhi - Polygala Tenuifolia- Known for calming the heart and the spirit.
- Huang QI - Astragalus Membranaceus- Strengthens digestion and also helps to product against colds.
- Long Yan Rou - Euphoria Longan- known for nourishing the blood, promotes sleep and boosts memory.
- Ren Shen - Panax Ginseng- Supports the lungs and digestion, anxiousness and mental clarity.
- Suan Zao Ren - Ziziphus Spinosa- Nourishes the heart and liver and aids sleep.
- Mu Xiang- Aucklandia Lappa- Supports digestion.
- Gan Cao - Glycyrrhiza Uralensis- This is licorice root, which is widely used in Chinese Medicine and supports body health overall.
- Sheng Jiang - Zingiber Officinale- Treats colds and coughs, and reduces nausea and vomiting.
- Dang Gui - Angelica Sinensis- On of the most commonly used herbs for women's health, supplementing the blood and gently moving through the body to aids areas of need.
- Da Zao - Ziziphus Jujuba- Chinese dates used to improve digestion.
Night 5: By night 5 I am used to the taste. I prefer to drink hot, my boyfriend can drink it fast, so is ok with drinking it cold. When I drink it warm, I feel warm and relaxed, like having some tea before bed. I continue to feel relief after taking and have decided that go forward I will take twice a day (as directed on the bottle.) I have a big meeting tomorrow so am hoping to combat some stress by taking prior to that.
Night 6: I took the supplement twice today, once in the morning and once at night. I felt the effect shortly after lunchtime, and was calm during an intense meeting- and to top that, my mind felt more clear during that time! Took the supplement again at night, and felt less of an effect, probably because I had taken it twice, but felt a steady sense of calming the whole day.
Night 15: By now, I am used to the taste, and mostly just taking at night. I take sometimes during the day, when I know the day might hold more stress than others- big meetings, doctors appointments etc. I overall feel more calm overall, and now am falling asleep without any trouble!
Night 30: With the same routine since night 15, I am feeling great. I feel more relaxed, calmer overall and my anxieties aren't jumping out at me all the time. I am able to handle stress with a more laid back approach, instead of jumping on the anxiety train. My mind is more clear, and I am able to make decisions more based on reason than fear. Like I said earlier, I do take twice a day sometimes, but reserve for those days I know might have more stress in them. There were days this month that I didn't take the supplement, just to test if the results were purely from taking daily, or if my body was able to adjust without it. My body felt the same without the supplement for a few days, and overall I still felt the effects. Part of taking this supplement was really about changing my mindset about anxiety and stress, and knowing that I can get through it. This supplement has been really beneficial for my mind, and body and I will continue to take it.