The Earth is perpetually offering herself to us as medicine; herbs are a prime example of how nature heals, and also how it elicits our gratitude, awe, and respect. The herbalists who came before discovered and crafted remedies to address just about every imbalance you can think of, including those that arise when we fall out of sync with our internal rhythms.
Our bodies are wise and wondrous vessels programmed for wellbeing. Bodies possess an innate propensity to reclaim homeostasis; we just have to remove the obstacles and cultivate a restorative environment. Most of the elements we need are already within, or growing all around us.
The call of our bodies will naturally vary as we flow from phase to phase of our monthly cycle. Herbal formulas and supplementation for each Phase will depend on the unique presentation of your cycle. The formulas in this article are general recommendations, but you should always consult with a licensed herbalist to make sure you are taking the appropriate formulas for your condition.
Herbal Remedies and Therapeutic Intentions for Every Phase
- The key principle is to get the blood flowing and ameliorate painful symptoms (unless bleeding is excessive, in which case we need to balance with herbs that restrain bleeding), so we might use a formula such as Tao Hong Si Wu Tang
- Invigorate Blood. If bleeding is heavy, invigorate Blood and stop bleeding; regulate Qi and Blood
- Women’s Formula to restore energy after your cycle has ended and create a pathway to a more harmonious cycle in the month ahead
- nourish Blood, tonify the Kidneys
- If you are trying to conceive, now would be the time to nourish more than move in order to support implantation with a formula like Bu Shen Gu Chong Wan (aka Tonify the Kidneys and Consolidate the Penetrating Vessel Pill).
- tonify the Kidneys, strengthen the Spleen, resolve Dampness
- Emotional Balance to keep the Liver Qi flowing
- move Qi, stimulate free flow of Liver-Qi, invigorate Blood, warm the Uterus
You can access a plethora of cycle stabilizing educational resources (such as phase-specific nutrition, acupressure points, herbal supplements, and mind-body exercises) in our online course! Can’t wait to see you there!