Sleep is one of those essentials just as important as eating and breathing. In Chinese Medicine, disturbances of the “shen” or the spirit mind can cause disturbances in sleep that can really affect us throughout the day. One could think of the “spirit” as the personality that interacts with the people around us. When the spirit does not have enough rest at night, then that is where we feel the irritability, fatigue and sometimes even stress.
Tian Wang Bu Xian Dan is an excellent herbal formula that helps “calm the spirit” at night so you can get restful sleep, and it's the inspiration behind DAO's Physical Tranquility. It is formula that is more nourishing compared to other sleep herbal formulas. The formula name translates to “Emperor of Heaven’s Special Pill to Tonify the Heart” that is suppose to help treat “exhaustion from too much thinking” (Scheid, Bensky, Ellis, & Barolet, 2015). Sounds kind of familiar in this modern day, right?
An Herbal Formula for the Irritable & Restless
Some indications for Tian Wang Bu Xian Dan include irritability, palpations with stress, fatigue, inconsistent and very restless sleep, inability to think or concentrate for short periods of time and a foggy mind. Does this sound familiar to some of you out there? It is not uncommon for practitioners to see people nowadays with sleep issues due to the “night-life” of society or how much traveling people do for work now.
Tian Wang Bu Xian Dan has a way of calming the restless mind that now plagues today’s society due to a multitude of stress factors. A good night’s sleep is extremely important not only for being able to have enough physical energy for the next day, but also for mental recovery and creativity.
Five Sleep Hygiene Tips from A TCM Practitioner
Sleep issues can be a very complex issue that may need several strategies to help improve sleep habits other than taking an herbal formula. Here are five simple sleep hygiene tips that can elevate your quality of sleep over time. I know for me, this has been extremely helpful in making sure my mind is ready to rest when I am in bed at night.
- Eat regular meals and do not go to bed overly hungry or overly full: Hunger can disturb sleep but greasy/heavy foods will keep you awake if eaten late at night.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise can help make it easier to fall asleep and get deeper sleep. However, try not to exercise within three hours of when you plan to go to bed
- Get up at the same time every day: Regular wake times can help create a regular sleep schedule and re-set your “biological clock.”
- Only sleep as much as you need to feel refreshed the next day: Excessive time in bed can lead to fragmented or shallow sleep.
- Put the clock under the bed or turn it so that you can’t see it: Watching the clock can increase anxiety and frustration with sleep (I know I have definitely done it before..).
Think that Physical Tranquility might be a fit for you? Try tonight and use code PTSLEEP to save 20% on your first order.