Health Benefits that Transcend the Beauty Benefits
When applying acupressure to the face as a massage, the face is receiving a multitude of health benefits. These include, but are not limited to:
- Lymphatic drainage
- Elimination of toxins
- Relaxation of facial tension
- Improvement in circulation
- Enhancing metabolism of the skin
- Relaxation of tired muscles
- Pumps out fluid that causes puffiness, tired eyes, and sluggish skin
- Provides a radiant and glowing look
How is the Self-Acupressure Method Performed?
Take a look at the pictures below which will help you see where to place your fingers while massaging the different areas of your face, along with brief, easy-to-follow descriptions. We would advise doing this with tidy hands and after cleansing your face so it is free from any kind of makeup, dust, and bacteria.
In addition, apply your favorite moisturizer or facial oil which will help your fingers glide along the face as opposed to pulling or tugging on the skin. Ideally, you should do it just before your bedtime as it is so relaxing.
Please remember to breathe and relax while performing the following methods.
The Area Around Your Eyes
- Massage your inner eye while applying gentle pressure
- Massage just beneath your eyebrows while putting on pressure
- Massage the outer edge of your eyebrows while putting on pressure.
- Apply steady pressure underneath your eyes
Perform these 4 steps thrice while practicing deep breathing. In addition, there are a multitude of benefits to eye area acupressure treatments to include reduction of pain and swelling, sinus and headache relief, tension headache relief, and eye pressure relief.
The Area Around Your Nose
- Apply light pressure at either side of the nose and repeat this three times.
Nasal acupressure relieves you from sinus tension and allergies that lead to nasal drip, sneezing and itching.
Cheek / Ear / Neck Areas
- After performing acupressure at the nose, you will then slide your fingers to the middle of your cheeks, pressing lightly.
- You will now move your fingers to the area just in front of your ear, at the end of your jaw. Press lightly.
- Lastly, glide your fingers down your neck until they reach your collarbone.
Neck acupressure provides amazing benefits like removing toxins, enhancing healing, and providing a relaxed environment for your body.
Repeat all of the steps three to five times for best results.
The practitioners at Deanna Carell Acupuncture hope you can take some of these acupressure skills and incorporate them into your self-care routine and for you to reap the treatment benefits from the comfort of your own home. These natural, self-administered acupressure therapies will keep you relaxed, motivated and healthy in between your regular appointments.