New York City-based Aimee Raupp is a highly regarded women’s health and wellness expert whose teaching mission is to educate and inspire women, improve their vitality and guide them to reconnect to their optimal health. We had the pleasure of hosting Aimee on a Facebook Live recently, where she shared three tips from her book YES You Can Get Pregnant for achieving optimal pre-conception health.
Women should start preparing their bodies, hearts, and spirits for pregnancy at least three months prior to starting to try to conceive. Though Aimee's book doesn't cover much about acupuncture or Chinese herbs for fertility (though you can read more about that here), she shares lifestyle tips that are deeply rooted in Chinese medicine: taking care of our bodies from the inside out.
Is a baby in your plans for the new year? Here are three things couples can start doing now to get pregnant faster:
1) Rejuvenate your fertility by getting in touch with the rhythm of your body. Nature knows what to do, and it does it. Reconnect with nature, reconnect with yourself. Instead of looking outward, look inward. Specifically:
- Get 7 hours of sleep at night
- Eat protein regularly (80 grams a day minimum)
- Maintain a healthy BMI
- Get outside every single day - 2 10 minute unprotected sunshine every day
- Turn off all screens at least 20 minutes before bed
- Take the weekend off from technology
2) Find more joy. Chinese medicine theory suggests a channel moves directly between the heart and the uterus. If there is trauma or angst in the heart, the joy from the heart can't move into the uterus, and the uterus becomes less hospitable. Here are two specific things you can do to focus on joy:
- Find time every day to practice gratitude for 5 things
- Focus on the "why" behind making this baby - think about why you are so excited to bring a new life into this world
3) Eat well. Eat whole foods with plenty of protein, avoid convenience foods, and cook your vegetables! Many of the cases of infertility that Aimee sees stem from auto-immune diseases like Hashimotos, Celiac, and PCOS.
- Stay away from convenience foods: if it could sit on your counter for a day and not go bad, don't eat it
- Eat foods as close to their natural state as possible
- Eat good quality healthy fat - avocado, ghee, coconut oil
- Lots of vegetables! Green vegetables help balance hormones
- Cook your veggies! More cooked than raw foods: 80/20
- Watch sugar, soy, dairy, GMO, and pesticides
If you've been following along with DAO Labs, you know we have a full library of recipes that support the middle burner - check them out and start getting that body ready to carry a baby.
Watch the full video here, and if you have questions leave a comment on the video and we'll make sure to get back to you!